THE LOST 64 WW1 GRAVES at CATTERICK MILITARY GARRISON CEMETARY
THE STORY of 64 individuals who are buried at Catterick NORTH YORKSHIRE in the Military Cemetery HIPSWELL in WW1 between 1915-1919
To see more about the service personnel at Catterick between 1914 -1918 and pictures of Catterick click on the the website below , PRE WW1 and Catterick Military Hospital
To find out as much as possible about the 63 men and one woman buried in the Commonwealth War Graves at St John the Evangelist, Hipswell, North Yorkshire. We named the project the lost 64 Catterick. The lost 64 Catterick are buried at Hipswell. The churchyard is the burial ground for soldiers from Catterick Camp, later renamed Catterick Garrison. Personnel who died at local Military Hospitals at Catterick were buried here during the First World War. Burials for service personnel commenced around 1915 at the churchyard. There are the graves of 64 WW1 service personnel. A screen wall lists those graves not marked by headstones. Although Catterick Camp was established in 1915. It was not until 1930, on the churchyard’s northern boundary, the war office opened Catterick Garrison Cemetery as a purpose-made cemetery for the garrison.
The deceased appeared to have had no apparent connection to the Parish. This website explains how the dead came to be buried here, who they were and where they came from. During the research, the volunteers learnt the location of the WW1 hospitals at Catterick the names of many of the soldiers and what happened to them in Catterick before they arrived at the camp and about their family connections. To our group, they will always be the lost 64 Catterick.
Philip Knox designed the Image for the lost 64 Catterick is a young team member, an employee at A1 Community Works and an after-hours volunteer. After many hours of searching for photographs of the lost 64, we only found one picture during the project
A1 Community Works Ltd is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund
The Project THE LOST 64 is about the service personal buried at Hipswell Church Yard 1916-1919